Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fog

I was walking to school one morning and noticed the fog off in the distant highlands. It was a strong, clear wisp entangled around an evergreen tree. Its lonely appearance was what captured my attention to notice it.
             The next morning the fog was spread out and looked thin and mysterious. This time I couldn’t help but notice the fog, because it just happened to be everywhere.
            I find that this is the same way with friends. To make an influence and be influenced, one must put certain people above others, rather than treat everyone the same. This is the fog that was wrapped around the single tree. This is who I want to be, but I can’t bring myself to pick and choose one over another. Ironically this is the exact thing that is so necessary.
Contrastingly, the fog that was spread out had touched all of its surroundings, the impact on each tree was minor, but the impact altogether was something else. This is the picture of where I am at. It is like sticking one leg halfway into cold water and the other half way into hot water, uncomfortable and uninviting. In groups of people, if you try to get to know both groups, you only know each one briefly. While the groups within are warm and bubbly, it seems that when you wander in they become dull and chilly. Something about silence, can usually be so comforting, but so cutting in these cases.
Pick and choose I must do, but.
Maybe I don’t have to choose them, and they will choose me.

written on October 5, 2010 (at 4 am and falling asleep) for a Scarlet Letter Project

2 comments:

  1. To make an influence and be influenced, one must put certain people above others, rather than treat everyone the same. this is hard to understand, care to clarify? it sounds really deep but shouldnt you start out unbiased?
    "In groups of people, if you try to get to know both groups, you only know each one briefly. While the groups within are warm and bubbly, it seems that when you wander in they become dull and chilly. Something about silence, can usually be so comforting, but so cutting in these cases." i like these 2 sentences as well! so profound and real precisely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracias once again.
    I love that I'm getting criticism and compliment, it's a good combination. :)
    Whoops, I didn't realize that would be confusing. I guess I didn't put enough context into it. But basically in that line, what I mean is that. If you treat everyone the same, you'll never really truly be a significant person in those people's lives. It's treating someone a certain way that incurs people to realize how you stand out and how you are important - whether positively or negatively. There's no way for people to know they matter to you, unless you act like they do.

    ReplyDelete