Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Insomniac

Lying and waiting, for a snippet of sleep, is slow and painful.
At first it is quite peaceful, being under layers of gentle cotton.
But soon enough, it is anything but comfortable.
Wishing for rest, all I experience is restlessness.
Squirming and thrashing, hoping to position myself and stay one way until morning.
The impatient movements break the silence - that quiet is at first sweet, but now agonizing.
I revert to ancient methods, perhaps counting sheep.
But there are no sheep in my blank blurry visualizations, only darkness.
The black night is all around me, bringing despair and blocking out any glimmer of light and life.
Initially, the dark was still, unmoving, a presence. But now it blends and swirls, spreading even farther toward infinite distances, breaking down imaginary walls, smothering all things.
Until, I am falling. Spiraling down in a deep hole, disappearing, my shrieks hollow, in nothingness.
By now I can no longer differentiate my reality from my dreams.
I do not know where I am. But I do know something, I am content, asleep.

2 comments:

  1. um, you like, need boxes for deep, mystifying, completely relatable and a tad bit dark (in a good way just like 2 lines) cause this belongs in all of that. and some other pieces were some of the above. except maybe not the spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I would, but I only have a 3 box limit that I can use. I think "interesting" accounts for a lot of reactions that someone could have, haha.
    But you're totally right, this poem sounds really dark. I didn't realize while I was writing that it would sound frightening. I guess I just got carried away with exaggerating the frustrations of lying awake.

    ReplyDelete